Friday, December 2, 2011

Practice Jobs

Because this is the first time I’ve lived outside Minnesota, most of my observations are based on the comparison between the two cities.  So when I say something like, Melbourne has a massive backpacking industry, what I mean is it’s bigger than Minneapolis’.  I actually don’t really think Minneapolis has a backpacking industry, but surely it would if the poor thing weren’t so especially landlocked.  Anyway, there is plenty of work for people like us (backpackers) in Melbourne.  And one of the first places to look for jobs marketed toward travelers are the job boards at the loads of hostels in the city.  Another job-hunting tactic useful to travelers is gumtree, which has also has many ads for traveler-friendly work.  Unfortunately these “backpackers welcome!!!!” jobs usually mean banana work strictly on commission.  Yucky-poo.  There are also abundant harvest jobs available for folks like us, though we’re biding our time on that one.  The other option for those who don’t have any office skills useful to procure a temp business-y or office gig, is hospitality work, especially with the upcoming summer holiday.  The one thing about hospitality jobs, besides being extremely competitive, is that they usually require previous experience before you apply.  Regrettably, neither Adam nor I have any of that (previous experience), which isn’t a problem so much for Adam, because he’s pretty good at faking it.  I, on the other hand, couldn’t fake my way out of a paper bag, though I make a fabulous first impression (it’s the keeping it up part that’s tricky), so I’ve made it to the trial shift stage several times.  And even though my first few trial shifts (I like to think of them as competition shifts) at an assortment of establishments were varying degrees of mildly disastrous, the experiences were enlightening and character building.  So, one sandwich place (to which I will never return), one bar & restaurant, one pizza joint, and one beer garden later, I’ve got steady work.  Adam does as well, though his job search experience wasn’t as much trial and error, more like just, BAM! I want that one okay I’ll do it.  Now on to item nine.

1 comment: